2012/07/12

Saignon and some more lavender....

Last Saturday we made a return visit to Saignon which is a small village perched on a hill and behind a very steep rock cliff that has some excellent views of the valleys below. The town itself is small but has alot of character although not many shops or restaurants. No trip to Saignon is complete without a hike to the rock cliff and just spending some time in the small town square.

The village of about 1000 inhabitants also has a 12th century church called Notre-Dame de Pitie and on the day we were there a wedding had just taken place. Of course I pretended I was a guest and mingled through the wedding crowd and took some photos....my first French wedding photos. :-)

From Saignon we descended north into the valley below to some lavender fields we had seen from above and then on to Roussillon. Since I've posted quite a few photos from the Saignon area I'll post the ones from Roussillon in my next entry.

Rock cliff above Saignon  
Some lavender fields below 
Vintage rental car 
Saignon from the rock cliff. Notre-Dame de Pitie to the left 

Lots of green covering the front of this house.
Near the center of town.
The small village square 
Old rock farm house surrounded by lavender 

More lavender in the distance 
Looking north from the rock.  
More lavender...this field below Saignon had an electric fence around it. I've noticed that some of the fields next to the more heavily traveled roads have these fences installed - to keep lavender thieves like me away I'm sure. 
The same vintage rental car with alot of the color removed.  The top does come off to give you that convertible feel.
A similar car - Not for rent. 
This local man and his dog were selling a few trinkets. He had posted a sign that any photos taken of him would cost you 5 Euros. I guess I was far enough away that I didn't get charged. 
One of the restaurants in town.  
The happy couple right after the ceremony.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire