2011/12/21

A fine day in southern France....

What a difference a day makes. I awakened yesterday morning and looked out the window at some very large and fluffy snowflakes falling from the sky. The snow was then replaced by sprinkles which froze on top of maybe an inch of snow. Today that snow has disappeared, the sun is shining and all that is needed is a light jacket when I'm outdoors.

I got my first taste of cold temperatures here over the weekend. Saturday wasn't too bad but Sunday was a different story. The wind was blowing from the north at it was one of those winds that seemed to cut right though you. Not sure what the wind chill was but it was way below my comfort level. My last French class until the new year is tomorrow. Everyone is bringing something for an end of the year mini party and I am not to be outdone. I'm bringing Coke, Sprite and milk to help wash down all the expected baked goods that everyone else will bring. It will be the last day of the only other American in the class, Michael. He and his wife are moving to Montpellier and I will miss him as well as his help in the class. He has been in France since April and his French speaking and writing skills are much more advanced than mine. I wish him the best and I know he will be successful whatever he choses to do in France.

Over the weekend we made the short drive to L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue about 30 minutes west of here. In the center of town the Sorgue river slowly meanders past many nice shops and waterside restaurants. In warmer months all of these shops and restaurants are full of people vacationing from all over the world. The town is also well known for its many antique shops and you'll find many people shopping at the antique markets on most Sundays. I imagine the colder weather kept some people indoors Saturday night, but there were still those who braved the elements who got out to enjoy the Christmas lights and displays.

Restaurant at L'Isle-sur-la-sorgue. Most of the dining was indoors on this cold evening. 
Nice display on the water.  (Much too cold to swim out and claim my gift.) 
A colorful and well lit shop in the town.
I will try to post again before Christmas with some more photos of the light displays in the area. I hope you enjoy the photos I post on here from time to time. I enjoy taking them and sharing them with anyone who might take a wrong turn and end up on my blog....:-) Photos on this posting are from Saturday night...this "photographer" had some frozen hands and fingers after these photos were taken....maybe I need to buy myself a pair of gloves......or, maybe Santa will bring me a pair...:-)

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire